Social Psychology Videos: Social Dilemmas
Great introductory text on social dilemmas: http://www.socialdilemma.com/content/…
Readings on social dilemmas and how they can solve real problems:
- Anon, Understanding human cooperation in social dilemmas: Field economic experiments with artisanal benthic fishers in Chile | CICS. Available at: http://www.complejidadsocial.cl/2013/…
- Cardenas, J.-C., 2000. How Do Groups Solve Local Commons Dilemmas? Lessons from Experimental Economics in the Field. Environment, Development and Sustainability, 2, pp.305–322.
- Irwin, K. & Berigan, N., 2013. Trust, Culture, and Cooperation: A Social Dilemma Analysis of Pro-Environmental Behaviors. The Sociological Quarterly, 54(3), pp.424–449. Available at: http://doi.wiley.com/10.1111/tsq.12029 .
Papers linking theory on social dilemmas and its real-life applications:
- Ostrom, E., Burger, J. & Field, C., 1999. Revisiting the commons: Local lessons, global challenges. Science, 284, pp.278–282.
- Van Lange, P.A.M. & Joireman, J.A., 2008. How We Can Promote Behavior That Serves All of Us in the Future. Social Issues and Policy Review, 2, pp.127–157.
Garreth Hardin, the “Godfather” of social dilemmas research:
- The classic study: Hardin, G., 1968. The tragedy of the commons J. Dryzek & D. Schlosberg, eds. Science, 162, pp.1243–1248.
- 30 years later: Hardin, G., 1998. Extensions of ‘The Tragedy of the Commons’; Science, 280(5364).
On corruption as a social dilemma:
- Köbis, N.C. et al., 2016. Prospection in individual and interpersonal corruption dilemmas. Review of General Psychology, 20(1), pp.71–85.
- Rothstein, B., 2000. Trust, Social Dilemmas and Collective Memories. Journal of Theoretical Politics, 12(4), pp.477–501.
- Köbis, N. C., Van Prooijen, J. W., Righetti, F., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2017). The road to bribery and corruption: Slippery slope or steep cliff? Psychological Science, 28, 1-10.
- Van Lange, P. A. M. (2015). Generalized trust: Four lessons from genetics and culture. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 24(1), 71-76.
On social value orientation:
- Balliet, D., Parks, C.D. & Joireman, J., 2009. Social value orientation and cooperation in social dilemmas: A meta-analysis. Group Processes & Intergroup Relations, 12, pp.533–547.
Further reading on social dilemmas:
- Van Lange, P. A. M. Joireman, J., Parks, C. D., & Van Dijk, E. (2013). The psychology of social dilemmas: A review. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 120, 125-141.
- Rand, D.G., Greene, J.D. & Nowak, M.A., 2012. Spontaneous giving and calculated greed. Nature, 489(7416), pp.427–430.
- Fehr, E. & Gächter, S., 2000. Cooperation and punishment in public goods experiments. American Economic Review, 90(4), pp.980–994.
- Dawes, R.M., 1980. Social dilemmas. Annual review of psychology, 31(1), pp.169–193.
- Dawes, R.M. & Messick, D.M., 2000. Social Dilemmas. International Journal of Psychology, 35(2), pp.111–116.
- Kollock, P., 1998. Social dilemmas: The anatomy of cooperation. Annual review of sociology.
- Axelrod, R. A. (1984). The evolution of cooperation. New York: Basic Books.
- Fehr, E., & Gächter, S. (2002). Altruistic punishment in humans. Nature, 415, 137-140.
- Yamagishi, T. (2011a). Trust: The evolutionary game of mind and society. New York, NY: Springer.
Products from Amazon.com
Misty Hamilton Smith has been an avid Genealogist since the 1990s. She has a degree in History from SNHU and is the founder of Appalachian Genealogy. She also has a Bachelor's of Arts in Psychology with a focus in Mental Health from SNHU and a Master of Arts in Industrial/Organization Psychology from Capella University. She enjoys writing about history, genealogy, psychology, and science fiction.
- Updates. September 29, 2019
- Community Psychology: Annotated Bibliography November 8, 2018
- The Twelve Tables of Rome November 3, 2018
- Mental Well-Being in the Workplace November 1, 2018
- Alexander: Ancient Greek History October 27, 2018
- Discussion: Mental Health in the Workplace October 25, 2018
- The Polis: Ancient Greek Society October 20, 2018
- Methods & Results: Mental Health in the Workplace October 18, 2018
- The Peloponnesian War October 13, 2018
- Literature Review: Mental Health in the Workplace October 11, 2018